An EKG technician has to perform electrocardiogram tests to assist physicians in diagnosing medical conditions. Apart from this, he has to take EKG readings that are used by a cardiovascular specialist to make initial decisions regarding the health of the patient, and decide the course of treatment, if required.There are many responsibilities that a technician has to manage.
Some of the main responsibilities of an EKG technician are:
- Patient's monitoring: An EKG technician monitors a patient's cardiovascular system. He attaches electrodes to points on a patient's chest, arms, and legs. The electrodes are connected to an electrocardiogram machine from which readings are taken to record the results.
- Perform stress tests : At the time of an emergency, technicians have to perform stress tests. They should not panic in an emergency case, instead deal with the situation in a calm and composed manner.
- Utilizing Machines: A technician must have proper knowledge of the machines used during tests. They should be trained well to deal with various functions and mechanisms of the machine.
- Record EKG readings : Technicians need to keep proper record of the readings.
- Update medical record: Before examining, technicians should look at the past medical procedures, current medications and other essential information and accordingly, update the patient’s medical record.
- Other specifications: An EKG technician has to provide EKG test data to physicians and help oversee test procedures.
With the advent of new technology, the role of technician is becoming more challenging. Technicians who are well trained have an ever-growing demand for their skillset and can look forward to a well paying career in this field.